RAM Diagnostic Software for Your Computer – Memtest86 Guide
Memtest86 is a really good program to use to check for bad memory. It is easy to setup and use, and best of all it is free.
01. The first thing you need to do is get a copy of Memtest86 so you can Test your Memory. This can be done by going to the Memtest86 homepage located here.
On the site, click on the “Free Download” tab on the left hand side of the page. This will take you to a new page with several links. You will want to click on the link at the top labeled:
ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows – zip)
This will open a Save dialog box asking where you would like to save the file:
I recommend saving this file to your desktop so it is easy to find.
02. Once the file has downloaded double click on the file to open it and un-extract the contents. This is a “ZIP” file so you will need WinZip to open it. (Windows XP should be able to open the file without WinZip) If you do need to get WinZip to handle the file it can be found here:
Once you have downloaded and installed WinZip double click the “memtest86-3.5.iso.zip” file to open it. Once the window opens, grab the file named “Memtest86_3.5.iso” to your desktop.
03. Once this file is on your desktop we will burn it to CD using Nero Burning ROM. (Or any other CD burning software you have that handles ISO files.) If you do not have Nero you can download a trial here:
The trial will allow you to burn the ISO so we can create out Memtest86 Memory Diagnostic CD.
Once you have downloaded and installed Nero we need to “right click” on the Memtest86_3.5.iso file.
This will open a menu with several options. You will need to select the “option with” option in the new menu you should have an option for “Nero”, “Image Files” or something along those lines. (Depending on the versions of your software.) Select this option and the Memtest86 ISO file should open into Nero.
04. This will open a “Burn Compilation” dialog. All you need to do here is click “Next” or “Burn” until the system starts burning the ISO file to CD. All the options needed should be set by default within the ISO file.
Memtest86 is a relatively small program so it should not take long to burn the CD. Once the CD has finished burning remove it from your CD-Rom and close Nero.
You now have a bootable Memtest86 Memory Diagnostic CD
You can now use the bootable CD we have created in any computer you want to check for Memory problems.
05. Simply place the CD into the CD-Rom of the system and boot up the system. The computer should automatically read the CD and go into the Memory Diagnostic. If it does not automatically do this you may need to check your Boot Order in the BIOS to ensure your CD-ROM is read before the hard drive.
If it does not start the program and boots back into Windows you need to check in your BIOS to make sure your “boot order” is set so the CD-Rom boots up before the hard drive/s.
06. Once the system is set to boot from the CD-Rom Memtest86 should startup automatically and start testing your system memory for errors.
If the program detects any memory errors it will report them in the “ERRORS” and/or “ECC ERR” section of the program located on the right hand side of the screen.
From here you will be able to determine if there are any problems with your system memory after running the Memtest86 memory diagnostic.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them below.